The Wilton Education Foundation is excited to announce the return of “Reading Rocks!” and what marks the 10th year of a fun, non-competitive Read-a-Thon for PreK-5th grade students at Miller-Driscoll and Cider Mill Schools! Reading Rocks! goal is to encourage children to have fun reading while raising money for the Wilton Education Foundation – which means all proceeds benefit our public schools!
“Reading Rocks!” is Wilton Education Foundation’s largest fundraiser which over the years has collectively raised more than $340,000 for our Wilton Public Schools. This outstanding effort has helped WEF fund:
- Document Cameras used for remote learning technologies
- Greenhouse at Middlebrook School
- Recording studio used for the news at Miller-Driscoll
- Miller-Driscoll (student-run) postal system
- Recording studio at Wilton High School
- Learning Commons upgrade and the Video Studio at Cider Mill School
- Support of Science Fair at Middlebrook
- Odyssey of the Mind Sponsorship
- Ongoing professional development opportunities for our teachers to support cutting-edge curriculum initiatives
HOW READING ROCKS! WORKS
- Students will create a Campaign Pledge Page online and ask friends/family to support their reading goals, or
- Make a one-time donation without creating a personalized page, by clicking here Donate to Reading Rocks!!
- Each student can read independently, be read to by someone else, flip through a picture book, or even read with someone on the phone or via Zoom – anything goes that helps the student celebrate reading!
- Pledges must be completed NO LATER than Friday, February 12th
- Pledges are suggested in $5 increments in support of your child’s overall commitment to read more, rather than a per-page or per-book challenge. We’re encouraging each student to try to raise at least $25.
- On Friday, February 5th all PreK-2nd Grade students (and teachers) at Miller-Driscoll and Cider Mill can Dress Like a Rock Star because Reading Rocks!!!
- Students will have from February 13th – February 27th to complete their reading goals
WHAT’S NEW THIS YEAR?
In honor of our 10th year, we will celebrate World Read Aloud Day during the Reading Rocks pledge period which is on Wednesday, February 3rd. On this day, we have arranged for a virtual reading to take place across both schools. We are excited to announce that Kristine Lilly will be among the Virtual Guest Readers participating in our event. Kristine Lilly is not only an Olympic Gold Medalist and World Cup Champion, but she has recently published a book called Powerhouse: 13 Teamwork Tactics that Build Excellence and Unrivaled Success. In this book she reveals what goes into building a high-performing organization. Businesses will learn the early stages of teammate selection, to strategy, collaboration, and execution. The book demonstrates how a high-performing team leads to unrivaled success. CLICK HERE to order a copy of the book!
THERE ARE FUN PRIZES!!
- As of February 12th, the Miller-Driscoll PreK-2nd Grade and the Cider Mill House with the highest participation percentage will earn fun participation prizes!
- For every $5.00 raised by February 12th, each student will also earn a chance to enter into a drawing to WIN AN iPAD OR KINDLE FIRE! For example, if your child raises $50, he or she earns 10 chances to win! There will be one Kindle Fire awarded per PreK-2nd grade at Miller-Driscoll and one per House at Cider Mill, and one iPad Grand Prize will be awarded to one student across all grades PreK-5. *win an iPad or a gift card of equivalent value to the Apple Store