The Wilton Education Foundation is excited to announce the return of “Reading Rocks!” and what marks the 12th year of a fun, non-competitive Read-a-Thon for PreK-5th grade students at Miller-Driscoll and Cider Mill Schools! Reading Rocks! goal is to encourage children to have fun reading while raising money for the Wilton Education Foundation – which means all proceeds benefit our public schools!
“Reading Rocks!” is Wilton Education Foundation’s largest fundraiser which over the years has collectively raised almost $450,000 for our Wilton Public Schools. This outstanding effort has helped WEF fund:
- Document Cameras used for remote learning technologies
- Greenhouse at Middlebrook School
- Recording studio used for the news at Miller-Driscoll
- Miller-Driscoll (student-run) postal system
- Recording studio at Wilton High School
- Learning Commons upgrade and the Video Studio at Cider Mill School
- Support of Science Fair at Middlebrook
- Odyssey of the Mind Sponsorship
- Ongoing professional development opportunities for our teachers to support cutting-edge curriculum initiatives
- New makerspaces in all four schools
HOW READING ROCKS! WORKS
- Students will create a Campaign Pledge Page online and ask friends/family to support their reading goals, or
- Make a one-time donation without creating a personalized page, by clicking here Donate to Reading Rocks!!
- Each student can read independently, be read to by someone else, flip through a picture book, or even read with someone on the phone or via Zoom – anything goes that helps the student celebrate reading!
- Pledges must be completed NO LATER than Friday, February 3rd
- Pledges are suggested in $5 increments in support of your child’s overall commitment to read more, rather than a per-page or per-book challenge. We’re encouraging each student to try to raise at least $25.
- On Friday, January 20th all PreK-5th Grade students (and teachers) at Miller-Driscoll and Cider Mill can Dress Like a Rock Star because Reading Rocks!!!
- Students will have from February 4th – February 18th to complete their reading goals
WHAT’S NEW THIS YEAR?
In honor of our 12th year, we will celebrate World Read Aloud Day during the Reading Rocks pledge period which is on Wednesday, February 1st. On this day, community members will read stories in each class across both schools. Also, be sure to visit the Wilton Library in addition to the school libraries to check out new books. This is also a great time for your child to get their own library card!
Students will have an opportunity to submit a drawing and or a description of their favorite book or book character during the reading period as well. These will be displayed throughout the hallways at the schools. Here are two sites for some character printables, but we encourage the children to be as creative as they want:
We also have a couple printables to help students keep track of their goals:
THERE ARE FUN PRIZES!!
- As of February 4th, the Miller-Driscoll PreK-2nd Grade and the Cider Mill House with the highest participation percentage will earn fun participation prizes!
- For every $5 raised by February 3rd, each student will earn a chance to enter into a drawing to WIN AN iPAD OR KINDLE FIRE! For example, if your child raises $50, he or she earns 10 chances to win! There will be one Kindle Fire awarded per PreK-2nd grade at Miller-Driscoll and one per House at Cider Mill, and one iPad Grand Prize will be awarded to one student across all grades PreK-5. *Win an iPad or a gift card of equivalent value to the Apple Store or Amazon.
- All prizes will be announced after the reading period is over and classes resume from February break.
Thank you to the Stroup Family for their support of Reading Rocks!!
Thank you for your participation and for your support of our schools!