The 2015 Reading Rocks! was another great success! Thank you to all the students, parents, teachers, administrators and volunteers that helped make this another great year.
All students in grades PreK-5 are invited to participate in the Wilton Education Foundation’s fun & non-competitive Read-A-Thon “Reading Rocks!” The Read-A-Thon’s goal is to encourage children to have fun reading while raising money for the Wilton Education Foundation – that means all proceeds benefit our public schools!
Your child will be able to choose his or her own goal for this Read-A-Thon. The goal is completely up to you and your child. Some ideas include: independent reading; reading with an adult or sibling; flipping through a picture book; reading via Skype with a far-away relative…truly, anything goes!
This is the fifth year for the “Reading Rocks!” program. In the first four years, “Reading Rocks!” raised more than $155,000 in total for our schools. This outstanding effort helped WEF fund SMARTBoard purchases, an iPad Learning Lab, the iPad Institute, professional development for our teachers, literacy initiatives in Miller-Driscoll and Cider Mill, performing arts programs and more! We appreciate everyone who has helped support WEF’s initiatives in the past, but without you, we can’t reach our goal of 100% student participation in this year’s “Reading Rocks!”
HOW IT WORKS
- Students write their reading goal on the front of the pledge form.
- The only rule is that homework reading does not count toward a reading goal.
- Students ask for pledges from family and friends supporting their commitment to reading; there is an optional script on the front of the form to help. Pledges should be filled in on the back of the form.
- Pledge dollars must be collected at the time the pledge is made and must be turned in by January 22nd with the pledge form. This helps students avoid feeling the pressure to ‘collect’ after the reading is over. Pledges should be in a flat amount in support of your child’s overall commitment to read more, rather than a per-page or per-book challenge.
- We’re encouraging each student to try to raise at least $20.
- We prefer checks made payable to the Wilton Education Foundation, but can accept cash.
- On Jan. 22 all K-2 Miller-Driscoll and all Cider Mill students can Dress Like a Rock Star because “Reading Rocks!”
- Students will have from Jan. 23 -Feb. 7 to complete their reading goals.THERE ARE FUN PRIZES!
- As of Jan. 22, the Miller-Driscoll K-2 grade with the highest participation percentage will earn an extra recess and the Cider Mill house with the highest participation percentage will earn a homework-free day!
- For each individual pledge students get by Jan. 22, they earn a chance to WIN AN iPAD OR KINDLE FIRE! For example, if your child receives 20 pledges, he or she earns 20 chances to win! There will be one Kindle Fire awarded per K-2 grade at Miller-Driscoll and one per House at Cider Mill and one iPad awarded across all grades PreK-5.
- Questions? Contact Julie Steckel at email@example.com or Rebecca LePage at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration/Pledges: Forms come home or you will be able to download forms below, beginning 1/7/2016
- Pledges and money are due back on “Dress Like A Rock Star Day”, JANUARY 22nd
- Reading period: 1/23/2015 – 2/7/2015
* Prizes will be announced after the Reading Period has ended.